Saturday, November 6, 2010

Day 121

Date: November 1, 2010
Location: Our House

Tuscaloosa, AL


Not exactly like riding a bike...


Alright, I guess I have to tell one of my secrets. In junior high and high school, I was in marching band - because my parents made me. At first, it was tolerable, but eventually I despised it. My loathing was so bad that I refused to learn the halftime music. Boy, I was dumb.

Honestly, I would love to have that wasted time back that I spent in the band room. At the same time, I wish I still played, er, rather that I had tried harder to learn to play.

I dug the clarinet out of my closet after seven or more years of collecting dust. I went to a local music store and bought reeds. Then I tried to remember finger placements as I read through the little sheet music that I kept. Fail.

I can still read the music; I know the notes on the page. I tried using a clarinet fingering chart I found online, but I am still lost. On top of it all, my lung capacity is apparently not what it once was. This is going to be a true challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment